Since everyone and their mom is providing their take on the designs of the newly released Pokemon (you can view the sprites here
, I decided to jump on board:
1) Many Fighting types seem poorly done this time round. The Dokkorar family line (the one wielding planks, iron beams and concrete) and Judo/Karate duo are weird to look at. Game Freak probably wanted to emulate the Machop family line and Hitmonlee/Chan duo from the 1st gen, but the new designs are a little laughable and unoriginal. Even Pokabu got a poor deal by getting an overused Fire/Fighting evolution.
2) On the other hand, Grass types got the better end of the deal. The leaf insect family, Churine (the Oddish look-a-like), Erufuun (cotton sheep) and the seasonal deer family retain simplistic designs, rather than a whole bunch of patterns and unecessary appendages.
3) A lot of Bugs seem like a waste of space (more than usual at least). While they have more mixed typings, many seem unnecessary, like the Chobomaki line (the knight-looking ones), Aianto (the steel ant) and Kaburumo (the ninja/samurai? I think Pokebeach got their images of evolutions mixed up). I do like the electric tarantula line though.
4) Looks like Ice types got shafted this time round. A floating snowflake and ice cream cones? Even the polar bear family can't save those unimaginative designs.
5) The Ghosts look cool. The floating sarcophagus looks creepy (in a good way), the ghostly jellyfish seems ok, and while the floating chandelier looks like a Heartless/Drifblim, its pretty neat as well. I don't fancy the Ground/Ghost golems though.
6) There are too many unnecessary three-line evolutions. Gear literally uses the same sprite for each evolution! I'm sure Meguruko line (the crocodiles) didn't need a middle stage, the same with Gochiruzeru, Rankurusu and the Ice-cream family.
7) The second half of the Pokedex has a lot of design oddities. The Deshiido line (the steel spiky ball), Shibishirasu line (electric eels), Maggyo (what is THAT supposed to be?), Baruchai line (vultures) and the legendary genies look pretty awful judging on the sprites alone.
And that's my take based on the initial preview of the sprites. Overall, I think about half of the designs could have been simplified/improved/done away with, but I'm sure they'll grow on me anyway and life will go on